Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” John 3:5
Scientific studies show that activities such as solving riddles greatly decreases one’s chance of memory loss. When Nicodemus came to Jesus, he thought Jesus was speaking in riddles, for how could a grown adult enter his mother’s womb and be born again? Jesus was not referring to our physical entry into this world. Instead, He was talking about Baptism, our spiritual birth through the water and the Spirit. In this new birth, faith is created.
We are made children of God and are assured of eternal life. … he saved us, … according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit … (Titus 3:5).
A physical rebirth, or even a hundred of them, could not wash away our sin. Only the water of Holy Baptism along with God’s Spirit can purify us from our sin. And this is no riddle!
Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary – Lord Jesus, Head of the Church, we ask you to guide this time of transition at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary as new men are called to replace several long-time professors. Prof. Richard Gurgel will be leaving the seminary to serve as president of Martin Luther College beginning this summer. Prof. James Tiefel retired at the end of 2019, and Prof. John Brenner plans to retire in June 2021. By your Spirit call for these positions the men you have in mind and be with them as they help train our future pastors. Amen.
- For our Members: We seek, dear Jesus, your love and protection for Tom Ade, who had a successful procedure to regulate his heart.. Remind Tom and Barb of your presence and of your power in the days ahead as he recovers.
- Jim Hahn as he goes through a serious back surgery on Tuesday, February 4th. Guide the doctors, dear Lord, and all who attend them as they attempt to fix what has been a deteriorating situation for Jim’s spine. Grant him patience and courage during his post-operative healing.
- Keith Knuth recently had hip surgery and is back home recovering. While the process is long, the pain has been relieved and he is really optimistic about the healing and outcome. Sharon Whitford, who has completed cancer surgery, returned home and is recovering well. Let her find comfort and security in your promises and your care, as she continues to live in your grace day by day.
- For Extended Family and friends: For Steve Wolf’s family, as his father Ed has been taken home to heaven…. now we ask that you guard them (especially his wife of over 60 years, Ruth) as they grieve with confidence in the promise of resurrection. Enable all who loved him to understand that you are yet good and gracious for you have allowed him to cross over into eternal life.
- Dear Lord, support and strengthen Karl Bloedel (Chad’s father) as he recovers from a recent heart attack. Such an episode is a reminder to each of us that our “days are numbered” (Ps 90) and yet we are in the hands of a gracious God who has proven his love to us through the gift of his Son.
- Lord, as a friend of Pete Suelflow, Rick, is struggling with a diagnosis of terminal cancer, draw him close to you, that he may find true peace and comfort in your gracious promises.
- Lord, Please surround Rick, a friend of Tim Crosslen with your love, as his is close to going to heaven. Give him peace as he clings to his Savior.
- Dawn Geis’s close friend Melissa is requesting prayer for her father Dennis who has brain cancer and is scheduled for a 12-hour surgery on 1/29/20 with a team of 5 surgeons. Bless the work of the doctors and medical team, that they may do their work well.